Sunday, July 24, 2011

Camp Calibration


cal·i·bra·tion  (kl-brshn)
n.
1. The act or process of calibrating or the state of being calibrated.
2. A set of gradations that show positions or values. Often used in the plural: the calibrations on a pressure gauge.
This is as defined by the Free Dictionary, http://www.thefreedictionary.com.
Today I am thinking about calibration, for me personally, more of a sense of re-calibrations, setting things back to the values and positions they previously were set at. I have been off on a medical leave for ten days as of Saturday and my routine and regime have been disrupted, but for good purpose and value. I have slowly over the past two days begun to put things back in their place for several reasons. When I return to work, I need the reassurance that my routine brings me as a person. I feel a comfort level in doing things in certain routines and manners, and stress is more evident when one returns to work, and their energy levels become depleted more easily in such situations.Setting myself up for success, is much better for me than the flying by the seat of the pants process utilized by some folks. 

What I realize is that what works for me does not necessarily work for the next person. I thrive on schedules, lists and such items. This can be stifling and non-productive for many people. I think we all have to find our personal comfort zone and strive to stay within that MOST of the time. My comfort level is not yours, and vice verse. Sometimes we can observe others actions and figure out changes we can make within our own lives to use their method of making life work for them. At 56 years of age, I have found what works for me, in most circumstances. There are times when I need to break free from routine, and just let everything go so I can be totally unencumbered. Those times I am glad I am able to release myself from the "chains" of my  routine. Life is seldom scripted, so once again, for me keeping a semblance of order helps me dramatically in those times that things go haywire or unexpected good and bad things occur.

Simple in theory, but complex in some ways to carry out. It requires a firm ability to follow some kind of order or routine, and that requires discipline and organization. To many all of this may sound dull and boring, but when my free time comes to the top of the list, it truly is that. My mind is not wandering off on the should have and should be's in life, but I am free-wheeling and footloose to enjoy life in the manner in which I enjoy it to be lived. That is the key element, finding what is good for you, and striving to achieve that in the best manner that works for you and your life.How each of us find our joy is not the important thing, but finding it is what counts!

~balance in all things~ 

No comments: