Friday, March 11, 2011

Friendship

Once again today I am reminded what REAL friendship is. It is someone listening to you and you in turn doing the same back. Sure, it is never truly 50/50, nothing in life is truly that way except in Math and even then there may be some difference mathematically. I lunched with one of my dearest friends, someone I met back when I was yet to become a mother, who befriended me and I them. Whenever we get together, it is though the place marker opens the book and we go right back on the page we left off on.

We remarked on how each of us have had some friendships recently that we have had to re-examine, mostly due to the one-sidedness of them. When one gives without even a miniscule return, one has to look at what is going on. Sometimes one has to cut their losses and sever the ties, though perhaps not completely, it is an act of self-preservation and common sense. We both marveled at the similarity of the situations, how the person we thought of as a friend truly did not know us at all, and that they were so self centered, there was no way they could know what friendship was at all.

Today reminded me that true friendship flows like melting ice in the Spring, and no more appropriate time of year to become aware of the value of people we have in our life that are truly irreplaceable.

No comments: